All property photos
3D Virtual Tour
HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT
The signpost at the entrance to Aragon’s lower Castilian Way advises politely that this sycamore-lined block is “Not A Through Street.” Those that do explore around the bend discover a charming and colorful medley of homes and a pedestrian shortcut to Capistrano Avenue for more direct downtown access. In the mix is 110 Castilian, a rare 1930s single story home that stands out in its quiet, white-washed simplicity, hidden in plain sight.
This two bedroom home lives spaciously with well scaled and sized rooms, closets and hallways. Properly proportioned but not too square….interior archways add unexpected curves. An enclosed patio augments the living space, bridging the main house and the west-facing garden, another hard-to-find in Aragon. On cooler days it’s a sunroom, with light pouring in through the wall of windows and skylights, and on warmer days, with the French doors wide open and the rollout awning extended, it becomes a breeze-filled garden playroom. The sheltered rear yard is enclosed on one side by a high stucco wall that creates a private courtyard feel and a detached one car garage is finished for flex space.
Options are plentiful. Evaluate immediate expansion potential, or, with newly refinished hardwood floors, fresh paint inside and out, a new furnace and water heater, and a remodeled kitchen and bath, expand later or love it just as it is. Close your eyes, count to ten….have you found it?
- Sentinel heritage tree welcomes all to this 1936-built Aragon cottage. With new concrete pathway pavers, stylish cedar front door and window lintels, and a soothing green tonal garden, the property’s street presence is fresh, yet classic and understated
- Interior details include newly refinished ebony-walnut hardwood floors, updated lighting, fresh paint, new furnace and water heater
- Spacious living room with wood-burning fireplace, divided light windows, barrel ceiling
- Light-filled dining room with wainscoting and a wall of doors to the sunroom
- Remodeled kitchen with muted palette, honed black granite countertops, white subway tile backsplash and stainless appliances
- Wood-paneled laundry room and pantry has stairs to a spacious basement for storage
- Two restful bedrooms with large closets. Primary bedroom has additional built-ins and French doors to sunroom
- Remodeled hall bathroom has a stall shower with rain showerhead, separate bathtub, designer tile and farmhouse vanity
- Bonus sunroom with garden access has seasonal flexibility. Exterior awning extends for shelter and shade
- Rear yard is private and lush with rustic patio and pavers, reflection bench, and whitewashed stucco wall
- House is +/- 1420sf and the property is +/- 5500sf per Realist. Bonus sunroom is +/- 150sf per paid vendor
- Detached one car garage can also be used as flex space: work from home/playroom/gym
- Exceptional and nuanced location: west-facing rear yard and level lot on a quiet non-through street in lower Aragon
- Schools: Baywood Elementary, Borel Middle School, Aragon High School. Buyer to verify districting and enrollment
San Mateo attracts with its great weather, desirable schools, multiple shopping and dining hubs, community parks and events, access to Caltrain, and proximity to major commute routes and SFO. 110 Castilian Way is exceptionally well located in the charming Aragon neighborhood just blocks from the main downtown area and train station, and with easy access to the 101 freeway or the 280 via the Highway 92 connector nearby. There are multiple local parks including Central Park just a block away on the east side of El Camino. To the south, Hillsdale Shopping Center has been recently reopened and reimagined.
Additional Showings by Appointment with the Listing Agent